Read more about our guide on home office built in ideas here. If you insist on some sort of privacy screen or separation, opt for a divider or some sort of curtain instead. Read more about our guide on the different home office door ideas here. Sometimes finding the right home office requires a little bit of flexibility and creativity. Closets aren’t known for being bright, naturally lit, or sun-drenched. With the power outlets in place, you’ll need to go about lighting it.
The purpose of this is to make a small space feel like it’s part of something bigger. We talked about how you can use puck lighting or decorative fixtures for your office space. Keeping everything in perfect order might be challenging with open shelves.
Tips on turning a large closet into a closet office
You need to measure the width, the height, as well as the depth for your targeted closet that you’d want to eventually turn into some sort of closet space. Depending on the type of closet you have, there’s a pretty good chance that the depth doesn’t go any deeper than the width of a hanger. In a standard home office (or even an in-office cubicle), there’s plenty of space for your stuff. There’s usually a large desk area that has room for your monitor (or monitors), your computer, pencil holders, phone, pictures, and coffee cup. “Personalize the space with pictures and items that are meaningful to you,” Marx recommends. This can help you feel like your home office is truly your own.
- The whole trick to a cloffice is using shelves, containers and wall attachments to hold office supplies, books, papers, etc.
- Get the approximate measurements of your must-have tools and supplies and double check to make sure they’ll fit in the space.
- Your chair can make or break your office, and we think this blogger has the right idea with her plush pink seat.
- The reasons being that there are fewer distractions, less cognitive load on our brains and as a result, a more focused working environment.
- Walk-in closets offer so much flexibility and creativity when it comes to crafting a beautiful office space.
- A large closet can also have the bonus of natural lighting, perfect for a bright, cheery area instead of a closed storage feel.
There may be times, though, when you have to compromise. In a home office closet, functionality often trumps style. Pull a chair into your new office and pretend converting closet to office to work for a bit before you start your closet to office conversion. You may find that what looks perfect in theory doesn’t work at all in practice.
How to turn a small closet into an office
Here is where closet office ideas truly shine; these closets often have plenty of space for both clothes and a home office. It does take more planning to pull it off, but it’s worth the effort. Do you have an extra closet organization system lying around the house? If so, you can use it to keep your cloffice tidy… just like Jennifer Gizzi of Making Pretty Spaces did!